Founder & Principal
• B Corp Best For The World
• Berkeley Form + Fund Fellow
• Conscious Company® Top 22 Business Leader
• NIH RADx Faculty Member
• Real Leaders® Top 150
• Registered Patent Attorney
• SuperLawyers® Mid-South
• Yale CBE Business Leader
Kevin is a man of many passions. Patent attorney. Sports agent. Civil servant. Yale business leader. Berkeley startup fellow. Social enterprise awardee. Biotech entrepreneur. Renewables entrepreneur. Consumer products entrepreneur. And once upon a time, a poet and spoken word artist. Kevin is a Renaissance man who uniquely combines creativity, business acumen, and integrity for the service of his corporate, founder and investor clients.
Kevin Christopher made the most of his time learning entrepreneurship and law in San Francisco. As a student, he interned under Senior U.S. District Court Judge Charles R. Breyer and was a teaching assistant in energy law and policy to former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, now U.S. Secretary of Energy. Kevin was an academic honoree for his scholarship in the Hastings Law and Bioscience Project, research assistant to Paul Herman’s groundbreaking work in corporate social responsibility, and regularly published poet in the UC Berkeley faith based journal To An Unknown God. After graduating law school, Kevin spurned the traditional firm route in favor of a biomass energy startup, where he learned a little something about equity, hustle, and scalability.
These diverse interests and experiences would lay the groundwork for Kevin’s vocation today as a mission-oriented entrepreneur and patent attorney. After his initial startup experience, Kevin would go on to lead various technology commercialization programs at UC Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore National Lab (LLNL) before spinning out a biopharmaceutical startup from LLNL called Resolute Therapeutics. Along the way he partnered with several Nobel prize winning scientists and technologists to commercialize CRISPR applications, MOFs, lab-on-a-chip platforms, neural interfaces, sensors, vaccines, and more. He even formed the only known Grammy-Nobel partnership for the commercialization of raw space data into music.
In 2017, Kevin relocated to Tennessee and launched Rockridge® to the become the preeminent innovation law firm in the Southeast. Founded on B Corp principles, Rockridge has also become nationally recognized as a go-to firm supporting social and environmental impact entrepreneurs, particularly those with scalable ides and technologies. Rockridge is proudly a B Corp Best For The World, RealLeaders Top 150, and 1% For The Planet law firm.
Kevin Christopher is a corporate attorney, patent attorney, and trademark attorney. Specifically, his practice areas include: patent and trademark prosecution, licensing and litigation; corporate law, with an emphasis on benefit corporations, socially responsible businesses and high-growth emergent companies; government contracts, with an emphasis on innovation funding; corporate and investor financing; and, technology commercialization. In addition to his corporate practice Kevin helps many entrepreneurs as program advisor with AgLaunch, Bethesda Green Hub, CoLab, Nashville Entrepreneur Center, and Singularity University Ventures.
Kevin is a Berkeley Form + Fund Fellow, NIH RADx Faculty Member, and Yale Center for Business and Environment Business Leader. He’s a Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Lawyer and Leadership Tennessee alumnus, and board member to several environmental and social impact nonprofits. Kevin has been recognized as a SuperLawyer by Thomson Reuters and Top Business Leader by Conscious Company Magazine.
Attorney Kevin Christopher’s illustrative services include:
Corporate & IP Counsel
- Bite® – Shark Tank Disruptor
- Cambium Carbon – Forbes 30 under 30
- National Science Foundation, Industry-University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) Program
- Solas BioVentures – Life Science Venture Capital Group
- UC Davis, Venture Catalyst
- UNC Chapel Hill, Eshelman Institute for Innovation
Trademark TTAB Litigation
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Cancellation Proceeding No. 92071980, Godisghl, LLC v. Elevated Faith LLC
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Opposition Proceeding No. 91252177, Advance Royalty Company, LLC v. AARP
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Opposition Proceeding No. 91238584, Rich Froning Fitness, LLC v. Monster Energy Company
U.S. Federal Court Litigation
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, No. 3:21-cv-124, Sicko Inc. v. Ian Connor, Grailed et al.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, No. 1:19-cv-00271, Stone Door Group, LLC v. Meade
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, No. 3:18-cv-01312, Hain Lifescience GmbH v. Seider and Hain Diagnostics, LLC
- U.S. Federal Circuit, No. 19-1808-ZZ, VoIP-Pal.com v. Twitter Inc., et al.
- U.S. Federal Circuit, No. 20-1241, VoIP-Pal.com v. Apple, Inc., et. al.
2021 Activities & Affiliations
- Advisor, AgLaunch (Memphis)
- Advisor, Be Green Hub (Bethesda)
- Advisor, Company Lab (Chattanooga)
- Advisor, First Flight Venture Center (Durham)
- Advisor, Nashville Entrepreneur Center (Nashville)
- Advisor, Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) Innovation Crossroads (Oak Ridge)
- Advisor, Yale Tsai CITY
- Board of Directors, Green|Spaces
- Board of Directors, Mustard Seed Ranch
- Commissioner, Great Smoky Mountains Park, State of Tennessee
- Commissioner, Putnam County, State of Tennessee
- Executive Council, TBA Intellectual Property Section
- Faculty, National Institutes of Health (NIH) RADx Program
- Artists, Athletes & Influencers
- Benefit Corporations, ESG & Social Enterprises
- Blockchain & Data Rights
- Branding, Copyrights & Trademarks
- Commercialization & Tech Transfer
- Contract Negotiations
- Corporate Governance & General Counsel
- Forming & Funding: Emerging Companies, Venture Capital & Securities
- Government Contracts
- Investor Due Diligence
- Joint Ventures, Strategic Partnerships & Licensing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patents & Trade Secrets
District of Columbia
State of Tennessee
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Presentations and Publications
“Open-Source Software and its Implications for Innovation.” Purdue University. 4 Dec. 2020. Online.
“Scaling Social Enterprise.” Tsai Center for Innovative Thinking at Yale. 9 Sept. 2020. Online.
“How One TTAB Case Reveals Continued Examination Flaws Post- Tam and Brunetti.” IP Watchdog. 27 Aug. 2020. Online.
“Creating a Sustainable Business in an On-Demand, Make-It-Cheap E-Commerce Culture.” B Academics Global Summit. 5 Aug. 2020. Presentation.
“How Open Source Software is Invading Proprietary Platforms, for Better or Worse.” Tennessee Bar Association Intellectual Property Law 2020. Presentation.
“How Being a Benefit Corporation Can Legally Protect a Company’s Mission.” Sustainable Brands Magazine. 27 Jan. 2020. Online.
“Leading the Growing Global Movement.” One Percent For The Planet Global Summit 2019. 5 May 2019. Presentation.
“Copyright and Public Art.” Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association. Fall Seminar. Nashville, TN. 2 Nov. 2018. Presentation.
“Vile and Viral Trademarks.” Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association. Spring Seminar. Nashville, TN. 4 May 2018. Presentation.
“Intellectual Property.” AgLaunch Bootcamp. Knoxville, TN. 11 July 2018. Presentation.
“Intellectual Property for Entrepreneurs.” Tennessee Tech Rural Innovation Conference. Cookeville, TN. 7 June 2018. Presentation.
“Advanced Energy Entrepreneurship.” Tennessee Advanced Energy Business Council. Opportunities in Energy. Knoxville, TN. 6 Dec. 2016. Presentation.
“Country Music Industry Fights Website Allegedly Selling Bootleg Merchandise.” Fox 17 News Nashville. 3 Aug. 2016. Television Interview.
“Tech Transfer to Manufacturing.” University of California, Berkeley Entrepreneurship Symposium. Biomedical Entrepreneurship: A Roadmap to the Future. Berkeley, CA. 14 Oct. 2014. Presentation.
“Startups and Venture Capital.” Industry Contract Officers Network Annual Meeting. Caltech University. Pasadena, CA. 16 Oct. 2012. Presentation.
“Crowdfunding and Crowdsourcing.” University of California Intellectual Property Managers Meeting. Santa Barbara, CA. 2012. Presentation.
Granholm, Jennifer et al. “Creating Jobs through Investment in Renewable Energy and Clean Technology: A Proposal for Secretary of Energy Dr. Steven Chu.” Washington, DC. 29 May 2012. Presentation.
“Reclaiming our Technological Posterity at the Intersection of Intellectual Property and Taxation: Uncovering how Patent Pools are Key to Recapturing the Benefits of Charitable IP Contributions,” American University Intellectual Property Brief (April 2011).
Interstate Renewable Energy Council, Freeing the Grid (2010).
Paul Herman, The Hip Investor: Make Bigger Profits by Building a Better World (2009).
Collected Works. TAUG: To an Unknown God. University of California, Berkeley. Volumes 1-2. Original Poetry.