IP / Privacy Lead
Lauren Hughes-McClanahan is an associate counsel of Rockridge Venture Law®, Tennessee’s first Certified B Corp law group and both a 2018 & 2019 Best For the World Honoree for community impact. Lauren leads clients through copyright, privacy, regulatory, and trademark considerations in optimizing successful e-commerce portfolios, equally adept at creative campaigns as well as technology transactions. She is a leading voice among women practicing in technology law and an IAPP Young Privacy Professional. Her primary practice areas include copyright and trademark law, data privacy, and technology transactions. Lauren leads the Knoxville Technology Council’s Women in Tech Committee, and is a Director of the Tennessee Women’s Theater Project and Putnam County Library Foundation.
Prior to joining RVL®, Lauren studied at the University of Tennessee College of Law. At UT, Lauren served as President of Law Women, recognized for its outstanding contributions to student life under her presidency. She also founded and served as President of InnTechSpective, a legal technology organization focused on exploring new areas of law created by disruptive technologies, including aspects of blockchain, AI, and IoT. As a Commercialization Analyst within the University of Tennessee’s technology transfer office, Lauren identified market opportunities for cutting edge technologies and positioned those technologies for public dissemination through licensing.
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Cancellation Proceeding No. 92071980, Godisghl, LLC v. Elevated Faith LLC
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Opposition Proceeding No. 91252177, Advance Royalty Company, LLC v. AARP
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Opposition Proceeding No. 91238584, Rich Froning Fitness, LLC v. Monster Energy Company
- U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 6023069 MOSES MEDIA COMPANY®
- U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 6005844 HAPPY JUICE COFFEE®
- U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 5959266 PERIOSOLUTIONSRX®
- U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 5951653 MICROBE LINK DX®
- U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 5901173 TENNESSEE EYE CARE®
Activities & Affiliations
- Advisor, Nashville Entrepreneur Center (Nashville)
- American Bar Association SciTech
- Founding Director, Putnam County Library Foundation
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Knoxville Technology Council
- Tennessee Women’s Theater Project
Presentations & Publications
A Message from my University: What Not to Say, Assoc. Private Enter. Educ. (Apr. 2019). Presentation.
Who Controls the Trolley: Defining Regulation of Autonomous Vehicles, 3MT (Mar. 2019). Presentation.
Negotiating Liquidation in Start-Ups, Transactions Blog (Feb. 19, 2019). Publication.
Case Comment, Attorney’s Fees: Nyrstar Tenn. Mines-Strawberry Plains, LLC v. Claiborne Hauling, LLC, 19 Tenn. J. Bus. L. 800 (2018). Publication.
The Shareholders’ Gift of a Shield: How Exculpation Conforms with the Team Production Model, Transactions Blog (Apr. 12, 2018). Publication.
How a Comma Can Cost You Millions: A Story of Haste, Uncertainty, and Payout, Transactions Blog (Oct. 17, 2017). Publication.
Alternative & Benefit Corporation Structures